What goes up, must come down.
I rolled out of bed with a warning from the husband that I had better get to work as I had lost $300 already today. For a moment I panicked, thinking of my recent checking account loss to fraud. But he was teasing me with a stock update.
Actually, $435.83 was deposited back into my checking account at some point over the weekend--in less than a week. So that was a good thing.
In other news from my state of emerging winter hibernation, we were invited to a fun game night party last weekend. The competitive ping pong game in the basement resulted in a slightly twisted knee for me. The husband slipped and skinned his knee, but made the shot, lasting into the final four in a game of H-O-R-S-E around the ping pong table.
We are getting too old for active games! Golf will have to suffice. And for me, attending a concert seems to be a pretty safe activity!
Saturday night I went with O. to the last concert which Herr Marcello (new German and Brazilian maestro) will conduct this year. New to me on this program, which headlined the old favorite Pictures at an Exhibition, was an opening Promenade which featured the musicians marching to their chairs while playing, led by a solo piccolo and ending with the single tuba player. The cellos were trying to pluck as they walked, but the heavy set one who is an institution with the symphony faked a bowing motion as he lumbered into place.
Once again, the brass stood out, especially in the Mussorgsky, and I could stop feeding O. peppermints to keep her awake (she needed multiple feedings for the Barber Adagio for Strings!) because it was so loud, descriptive and interesting. I never had a chance as a brass specialist to learn to play the tuba and I marvel at how a tubist can play so pretty, with a nice even vibrato on that cavernous mouthpiece. He actually blipped a couple of notes, not making a perfectly clean attack. I know how hard that is. Otherwise his solo was outstanding. The Symphony is so good that I am hard pressed to find flaws--as picky as I can be! I don't always like the sound of the highest notes from the piccolo. That is my only other complaint of late. But from the high-end piccolo player's promenade to the low brass flourishes, it was another great program.
(This was concert #7 and I did pay something for this one.)
No comments:
Post a Comment