![]() |
| Entry to Michigan Blood |
It seems we have broken with the tradition of the husband's maternal relatives' Memorial Day picnic in the park celebration. The oldest ones (except for that one uncle) are now gone, and the younger ones have expanding families of their own, with better ideas of how to spend the holiday.
Those of us with no family in town must look for new traditions.
The husband thought, "Yay! A day to golf."
I had the goal of just staying clean out of the garden for the day!
And so I went to the zoo!
But first ... there was a promotion at Michigan Blood ... and I thought that donating might be a very good thing to do on Memorial Day, or any day, really. It had been nearly a year. And as we remember with thanks all the blood shed by our servicemen in order to preserve our way of life ... and, well, it just made me feel good about myself to donate!
I persuaded my friend with her precious O negative to join me!
J. and I received a $10 gift card just for showing up. We ended up qualifying and the process was quick and painful this time! We both had the needles jammed into our arms a little roughly, we thought.
Interestingly, as my goal is to keep my iron level at a low normal, it was once again at (hematocrit level) 41, and so was J.'s. So right now I am probably at 38 or 39--a perfectly fine low normal. They will not take your blood if your hematocrit level is 38 or under. I do not take iron supplements or eat Cream of Wheat to raise the level more quickly. Donating once a year or so is good enough!
After stopping by the nearby MSU Grand Ideas garden, we drove to the zoo. I should say, J. drove my car. I always feel a little light in the belfry after giving up a pint + five vials (one extra now to check for Zika virus!) and a finger prick. I had coffee, orange juice, water, salty pretzels and an oatmeal bar at the facility--but it didn't help!
![]() |
| Gorgeous peony at the MSU Garden |
I managed to meander through the crowded zoo without fainting. It was a discounted day at the zoo, but I had no idea that this was a family thing to do on Memorial Day!
The new walkways through the forested areas were pristine. There was even a zip line. No thanks.
There were activity areas for kids and places to refresh and spend money. It seems the zoo has become more like a theme park and less about animals.
We did see 2 pretty striped bongos, 2 majestic tigers, 2 wallabies at siesta time (although free to roam their brand-new enclosure to greet us) and 1 beautiful macaw that I took a photo of--just to prove I was at the zoo!
![]() |
| Mr. Macaw seemed happy with his space in the forest. |
After the zoo we split a delicious Reuben and fry order at Prick and Porter. Oops. I mean Brick and Porter! I must be thinking about my left middle finger and right elbow crease which are sporting band aids, stopping up the bloody holes.
![]() |
| Fries dipped in pretty pink house Thousand--yum! |
And of course, a craft draft! You are warned to not drink alcohol after donating, for 24 hours--and I was still a little woozy ......................... so I ordered a little snifter of Gonzo vanilla porter.
![]() |
| This was only $2 and paid for by my friend--FYI, LWVB! |
Later that night I sat outside with friends O. and A. under their pergola, enjoying one bottle (about $3) of Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter, with some salty chips.
I was so wiped at the end of this day! But I was cleaned out (the blood-letting) and stayed clean--not touching a single weed or flower or square inch of dirt all day!!





Of course you ignore the rules prohibiting certain behavior
ReplyDeleteWhat can I say??
ReplyDelete