We have been watching the growth of 4 baby robins in a nest built on top of our front porch light fixture. We keep the lights off at night and open the door a crack in the daytime to watch the mom and pop robin regurgitate worms into their eager gullets. We are thinking of how to pad the porch for the time they might decide to fledge a little early and possibly crash land on the cement!
We have also just set up a couple of bird feeders on shepherds hooks in the backyard grass just off the deck. So many birds have flocked to the feeder in the last few days, and we are learning some of their names. The cowbird doesn't seem to mind us sitting on the deck watching him, but a pair of cardinals are both a little skittish.
Last night we moved an old bird bath from Uncle J. that leaks slowly to a good spot for "private bathing" between the yews and the black lace elderberry shrub in what used to be the dog's (Lucky) area when we first moved here.
We have become a bird sanctuary--food, water, bathing and lots of low hanging tree branches to hastily retreat to!
So far the nasty squirrels haven't been able to reach the food, except for the spilled seeds on the ground.
Next: setting up a hummingbird feeder that I found in the garage. The only investment so far is one bag of song bird seed from Lowe's. Everything else had just been cluttering up the yard and garage.
Bird watching is a good retirement activity, don't you think? I wish I had more time to sit on the deck. May is always the best weather for deck-sitting--coffee in hand--but it is also my busiest month.
Next: setting up a hummingbird feeder that I found in the garage. The only investment so far is one bag of song bird seed from Lowe's. Everything else had just been cluttering up the yard and garage.
Bird watching is a good retirement activity, don't you think? I wish I had more time to sit on the deck. May is always the best weather for deck-sitting--coffee in hand--but it is also my busiest month.

No comments:
Post a Comment