Just before "the wee small hours of the morning," as I slept for one night in a strange bed in the upstairs of a newly constructed lake house in West Michigan, summer arrived. Yesterday.
We have had abundant rain since my last post. All things bright and beautiful are happy again ... and me too!
But this morning the humidity was oppressive as I spent the usual Thursday morning time weeding and deadheading with volunteer friends in the church garden. The sprinklers activated at 4 AM (I presume) and the weeds pulled out easily. I napped in the afternoon and then it rained again in the late evening. Happy, happy happy: Grass. Trees. Flowers. Me.
I'm not sure about the happiness level of the golfer in the family. The greens might be a little slow and the fairways a little squishy. However, the greens he plays on are cropped close and always green.
Even as the longest day of the year happened here, friend O. has now progressed into the bottom of the state which is known as the "land of the midnight sun." It would be possible I suppose to drive late into the night in Alaska and never know it! From her FB photos, the wildlife is abundant, with grizzlies frolicking roadside. Yikes.
Also, yesterday my bank account was replenished. Happy, happy, happy me.
My whole (physical) world has been refreshed. And I am so grateful for air-conditioning, keeping the humidity and temperature comfortable in my indoor spaces. I'm thinking of those in Arizona who might not have an adequate means of staying cool. 120 degrees! Crazy!
I will add a photo tomorrow of a somewhat neglected orchid that is blooming for me the second time since it was a funeral flower in October of '15. It is a bright spot on my sink, which sometimes gets messy and gross with dirty dishes or a soaking pan or two. The bright faces on this orchid exceed the happiness level of the faces on the deck pansies:
![]() |
| Gorgeous orchid, blooming once again, in June - 6 blooms plus 3 buds! |
And E. was crunching on a dozen or so freshly-picked sugar snap peas, growing on our deck and crisping in the fridge.
Rain, flowers, and all things green: all very happy things!

No comments:
Post a Comment