![]() |
| SUPERFOOD! |
Midweek thunderstorms and a day with highs in the sixties provided some sweet relief to the dog days of summer--the kind of weather which has stretched my temperature tolerance tether to the breaking point on more than a few days.
Throw in a girls' night out and a free "Sixties" concert and it was a pretty good week.
After my week of cake, I have been trying to cut back a bit. I opted for the new Superfood Salad at Bonefish Grill--with salmon, sweet potato chunks, pickled onion, avocado, kale, romaine, ancient grains, feta, lemon aioli. (Well, I had a few bang bang shrimp as well). I shoved some of the kale to the side, but this was a hearty and healthy salad and I ate it all!
Much like my life of late--half good, half healthy.
But let me say something about that outdoor concert at Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park...
We wandered into the gardens without checking who was playing in the free Tuesday night concert. A jazzy band was playing as we entered late (I guess it was the Moonrays with surf-rock!) into the capacity crowd in the outdoor amphitheater. We found some unused handicapped spaces and sat down on the concrete wall. Soon the 6-Pak all-girl band took over the stage with some surprisingly good renditions of old favorites from the sixties. 🎶Won't you let me take you on a ... sea cruise?🎶
I was so full from all that superfood (and the bang bang!) and the setting sun was hot on my face, but I managed to get one Birkenstocked toe tapping to the beat. Others in the audience, many of whom looked old to me (high schoolers in the early sixties, perhaps) were trying to get their groove on and no--they were not cool anymore ... old fat people trying to recreate their youth. Some of them rocked out while sitting in their portable chairs, mouthing the words and raising their arms in the air. Others danced in front of the stage. Beer was being served up the hill--the lites and even Perrin Black (too full for that!) which might have loosened them up a bit. I was embarrassed for them! It wasn't all "old" people, but the senior set was heavily represented, pun intended.
The three Dutch friends (who were not even allowed to dance in high school) enjoyed the old familiar tunes while maintaining a sense of decorum most of the time (a few selfies were attempted). I will not include those!
Other photos you will never see: I did manage to finally take my passport photos for my expired passport renewal (at Costco, for $5) this week. I washed and curled my hair and applied as much makeup as I dared for daylight hours. But under the bright lights of Costco, with a camera way too close to my face, I was very humbled, having to choose from three equally awful photos. (The husband confirmed that that is how I look!)
But really ... how many people will ever see this photo?
I looked older (imagine that?) than my photo from my 2006 passport--almost as old as all those aging rockers at the sixties concert. But at least I was acting my age. And not drinking any beer, for once! (I had a pretty Blue Hawaiian cocktail with the bang bang, if you must know).

No comments:
Post a Comment