Tuesday, October 31, 2017

500 Years and Counting...


Almost all the photos today under Protestant Reformation searches are of  Martin Luther, who according to the accounts passed down through the centuries, on this day in 1517 nailed his 95 theses on the church door in Wittenberg. Now the church door back then, I read, was something of a bulletin board for the community, as they did not have email or social media back then. But whether Luther was there on the morning of the 31st of October with hammer in hand is doubtful, according to a trusted historian who I call a friend. In fact, it didn't happen!

Eric Metaxas has a new book out just in time for the 500 year celebration, a biography of Martin Luther, in which he also apparently debunks the "hammering" Luther. I hope to read the book one day soon, as I am a big fan of Metaxas and his writing style.

But yesterday I listened to a couple versions of that great reformation hymn A Mighty Fortress on You Tube while my thoughts turned to another reformer who was more important in shaping my theology: John Calvin.

I already ate cake at the lake last summer, celebrating the July 10th birthday of John Calvin.

I have no idea how an old retiree like me can happily celebrate either Halloween or Reformation Day. I learned about the Reformation in private elementary school and my reformed church made a pretty big deal out of the day back then. And there was no trick-or-treating!

While I appreciate the enthusiasm for both celebrations, I don't have any ideas of a way that makes any sense for me to participate now.

I suggested to one friend that we could tip over a tombstone (like we did in Savannah a few years ago--inadvertently!) and suggested to another friend we could get "hammered" in remembrance of those 95 theses.

I just heard the news that daughter R. is joining me this weekend in NYC, so I guess that will be enough fun for the week. In fact, we have cronuts ordered which are something like a cake, or at least half cake-donut. Apparently they are so unique and in demand that they have to be ordered ahead, unless you want to wait a long time in line. The flavor for November is Banana/Hazelnut and I will hopefully indulge in my first $6 cronut, which will be celebratory enough--and also a (very minor) bucket list item.

We did buy enough candy to accommodate the couple of dozen or so tricksters that typically come to our door.

 And that will be it.

If I should live as long as my mother-in-law and namesake, Rose, I still have nearly 30 years to keep reforming (and I need it, lol) until I am ready to join all the saints in  heaven--and then I can perhaps ask Luther personally about just what he did with those 95 theses!

No comments:

Post a Comment