Wednesday, October 4, 2017

October Surprise

Popcorn Cassia

October is upon us and I have not yet indulged in one thing pumpkin--latte, beer or the new pumpkin ice cream bars that I just saw on Instagram. There will be time for that, although we will be in Colombia for the Thanksgiving holiday where pumpkin is not so celebrated as here in the United States. I don't think they have apple pie either, and certainly no cranberries! Flowers, yes. Fruit. And coffee. Other things we won't mention!

I think I must have rambled on (in previous posts) about all there is to say about fall, cool weather, October skies and all things crisp.

And really, this post should be on the gardening blog I suppose, but...

Today I learned something new about October, something new to me ... blooming bold and gold, with just a bit of brownish/blackish fall funk provided in the legume-like buds, which open on the racemes from bottom to top.

Like most things botanic, it has several names. Popcorn plant is its common name. Actually Popcorn Cassia. It is a tropical from Africa, growing to shrub or tree-size in that environment. Here it is grown as an annual.

The leaves are said to smell like buttered popcorn, but some reportedly get a hint of wet dog or mice, so I am less than excited about trying to ever grow this one! The flower petals are said to harbor a whiff of peanut butter. And it is poisonous. So, no thanks!

But I was glad to see it today in the MSU Grand Ideas Garden. It is dramatic, providing a bright pop of autumn color, a happy alternative to the ubiquitous garden mums.

There were several of these popcorn plants. Here is another shot, showing the full plant:

No comments:

Post a Comment